Oribi resembles a tall gazelle - a graceful, slender-legged, long-necked antelope found in grassland almost throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Their hindquarters slightly higher than their forequarters.
Oribi Trophy Minimums
|Ourebia ourebia (Common Oribi)
||RW Measurement Method
||SCI Measurement Method
Where To Hunt An Oribi
You can hunt an oribi in all the African hunting countries except Botswana and Namibia. The oribi does occur in the far north-east of Botswana and the Caprivi region of Namibia but is protected.
Oribi Hunting Prices
- In Benin, the trophy fee for an oribi is 300 Euros
- In Burkina Faso, the oribi trophy fee is usually from 46 Euros to 77 Euros but there is the odd company quoting a hefty 500 Euros.
- In Cameroon, the oribi is a Group C savanna animal with a trophy fee of 300 Euros to 500 Euros.
- In Central Africa Republic (CAR), the trophy fee for an oribi is between 300 Euros and 500 Euros.
- In Ethiopia, the oribi trophy fee is from US$120 to US$240.
- In Mozambique, the oribi licence fee is between US$250 and US$285 with the additional trophy fee between US$750 and US$1150. Oribi occur in the central areas of Mozambique.
- In South Africa, the oribi is a TOPS species and requires a special permit to be issued well in advance of the hunt. The trophy fee for an oribi is between US$1500 and US$2600.
- In Tanzania, an oribi may be hunted on a 16 and 21 day licence. The Government trophy fee for an oribi is US$250. With additional Community Development/anti-poaching fees, the oribi trophy fee will be between US$390 and US$1500.
- In Uganda, the oribi trophy fee is between US$250 and US$750.
- In Zambia, the oribi trophy fee is between US$650 and US$1200.
- In Zimbabwe, the oribi distribution is a bit patchy and they mainly occur in a central strip running north-south. The oribi trophy fee is around US$2500.
Oribi Hunting Methods
- Walking and stalking in the likely habitat areas. These small antelope are generally hunted when the opportunity arises while hunting something else.
- Like other small antelope, hunting oribi will be best in the early morning and late afternoon. If you come across one, they will often spring up, bounce away but frequently stop to look back which will be your chance at a shot.
A Good Oribi Trophy
- Look for solid bases and good horn length - horns extending past the ears should be a good trophy.
Oribi Hunting Shot Placement
- As oribi shot placement is similar to other antelope plains game species, go to Shot Placement On Plains Game.
- If you come across an oribi while hunting a buffalo, you may not have time to select your smaller calibre rifle. However use a solid so there is minimal skin damage on this small antelope.
Oribi Male Vital Statistics
- Shoulder Height: 50-60cm / 20-26"
- Weight: 26-49lbs / 12-22kg
Oribi Habitat and Requirements
- They typically inhabit open grasslands or thinly bushed country.
- Oribi are highly water-dependent and tend to avoid steep slopes.
Oribi Social Structure
- Oribi social structure varies depending on habitat.
- They may live in monogamous pairs or temporary groups.
Oribi Gestation Period
- After a gestation period of 6-7 months, one offspring is usually born.
Oribi Gender Identification
- Only the rams have short, straight horns which are ringed at the base.
Click image to enlarge
Male & Female Oribi
Oribi Trophy Permits (2015)
Oribi Trophy Taxidermy
As with all small antelope, a full mount is the most popular taxidermy mount for an oribi.
Click images to enlarge
Hunting Other African Animals
Big Five Hunting
Other Plains Game Hunting
Spiral Horned Antelope Hunting
Large Antelope Hunting
Medium Antelope Hunting
Small Antelope Hunting
African Pig Hunting
Other Cat Hunting
Animals Of Opportunity