Burkina Faso Travel
Burkina Faso Travel - Burkina Faso is a landlocked country in West Africa. It is bordered by Niger in the east, Benin in the southeast, Togo, Ghana and Ivory Coast in the south and Mali in the west and north.
This country, which has barely been heard of by most hunters, is one of the world's poorest countries but it's also one of the most stable and efficient in west Africa.
Burkina Faso Travel Facts
- Formerly: Upper Volta
- Capital: Ouagadougou
- Area: 274,200 sq km
- Population: 13,925,313
- Language: French & native African languages
Burkina Faso Money
- The local currency is (West Africa Comunauté Financiere Africaine) CFA Franc.
- There are no Visa ATMs in Burkina Faso
- Locations of Cirrus/Mastercard/Maestro ATMs in Burkina Faso
- ATMs are the cheapest way to get local currency in Benin but be security aware when using an ATM. Also don't wholly rely on getting your local cash at an ATM in Burkins Faso - they are frequently empty or broken. Read more on money in Africa
- There are no ATMs available at Ouagadougou Airport - the nearest being in the city centre.
Electricity In Burkina Faso
Voltage: 220 V | Frequency: 50 Hz | Power sockets: Type B
Burkina Faso Map
Getting To Burkina Faso
- 1-Stop from CDG, Paris via Niamey, Niger to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- Non-Stop from Brussels, Belgium to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- Non-Stop Addis Ababa to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Burkina Faso Travel Health
Vaccinations/boosters are strongly recommended for:
Note, you must carry the WHO Yellow Fever certificate when travelling to and from Burkina Faso.
Malaria In Burkina Faso
Malaria Map Of Burkina Faso
Malaria prophylaxis is recommended for all travellers to Burkina Faso at all times of year. The red area indicate substantial risk of malaria.
Other Health Hazards In Burkina Faso
- All hepatitis strains are endemic.
- Bilharzia is present in fresh water
- Meningitis may be prevalent in certain areas
- Food and drink contamination
Getting A Visa For Burkina Faso Visa
Burkina Faso visa and passport information includes all application instructions and visa application form downloads.
Visa and Passport Requirements For US & UK Citizens
- Passport must have at least 6 months validity
- Complete and sign 2 visa application forms by hand & state full address of place of stay in Burkina Faso
- Submit 2 passport photographs - scanned photographs are not acceptable. Glue 1 photograph in place on application form
- Submit a copy of round trip airline tickets or itinerary, or letter of confirmation from travel agent
- The Embassy reserves the right to refer an application and request further documentation.
- Visa may be extended once in Burkina Faso.
- Consular Fee: $100.00 per visa (US citizens) for 6 months multiple entry
- Consular Fee: £25.00 per visa (UK citizens) for tourist single entry
Burkina Faso Visa Application Forms
Burkina Faso Embassy In US
2340 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20008
Tel: (202) 332-5577
Fax: (202) 667-1882
E-mail Burkina Faso Embassy in US
Website Burkina Faso Embassy in US
Burkina Faso Embassy In UK
St. Nicholas House, St. Nicholas Road, Sutton, Surrey SM1 1EL
Tel: 020 87106290
US Embassy In Burkina Faso
602 Avenue Raoul Follereau, Koulouba, Secteur 4, Ouagadougou
Tel: (226) 30-67- 23/24/25
UK Embassy In Burkina Faso
British Consulate Hotel Yibi 10 BP 13593 Ouagadougou
Tel: (226) 30 73 23
Email UK Embassy In Burkina Faso
Recommended Reading For Burkina Faso Travel
The Bradt Travel Guide to Burkina Faso provides information including town maps and descriptions of villages and traditional markets. Great attention to detail, honest appraisals of accommodations, restaurants, sights and festivals. In a country with a very limited tourist infrastructure where even your French may not be sufficient to allow you to communicate clearly with the locals, this kind of a guide is absolutely crucial. Burkina Faso is not for the novice traveller but it is an extremely relaxed and rewarding country to visit.
Useful Burkina Faso Travel Resources