When choosing your safari vest for African hunting, go for comfort above all. Your choice of safari vest really depends on whether you are going to actually wear it for hunting and load it with your essential hunting gear, rather than carrying a day bag, just wear it for warmth in the mornings and evenings, or use it for general travel purposes.
Choosing A Good Safari Vest
- A safari vest needs to be comfortable for possibly many hours of wear. Get the length of the vest right for you - if you have bulky gear in the lower pockets, sitting down can be awkward if the vest is too long - especially driving in a hunting truck when all the things start to bounce on your knees.
- A vest with an adjustable waist belt will help control the movement of bulky gear in the pockets.
- Made of lightweight natural or hi-tech fabric that will be sweat absorbent, breathable and quiet if wearing it while stalking.
- Good strong seams that won't rip with heavy items in the pockets.
- Cooling features possibly vents and mesh.
- Optional zip-on long sleeves to convert to a jacket.
- Pockets - better to be button closure rather than velcro which can be noisy. Too many pockets can be a disadvantage for hunting if you can't remember where you put something and have to rummage through all 21 pockets to find it.
- Check the distribution and size of pockets in a safari vest - if you can only put heavier or larger things in the lower front pockets, this may uncomfortably pull the vest down tight on your neck and shoulders.
- Lined, waterproof pockets may be preferable if you are going to carry a camera, lenses or sunglasses/reading glasses. This will protect them against rain or sweat.
- Other optional features - cartridge loops, front shoulder padding for shooting and padding on top of shoulder for carrying your rifle comfortably.
- Khaki, green, brown colours rather than white or any bright colour.
Safari Vests For Men
Please note, this page contains affiliate links, which means Shakari Connection receives a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
(Click on images for full details & colour options)
This hybrid wool fleece vest is fully lined with a windproof fabric and the warm wool blend dries quickly if you run into wet weather. Paneled side seams allow greater freedom of movement. Contrast fabric in high contact areas helps shed water. Buy Now
ExOfficio's zip-front vest has plenty of pockets, including two vertical security zip chest pockets and two slash pockets, three interior zip pockets (one with an RFID-blocking lining) and one easy-access, non-zipped interior pocket. The rugged, coated ripstop nylon fabric is water, wind and stain resistant. It also provides 50+ sun protection. Buy Now
This cotton vest has 10 pockets and is durable, breathable and comfortable. Buy Now
This multi-pocket vest is made of a fine cotton twill that is ideal for layering. A bit longer in length, the vest has adjustable sides to tailor the fit, snap front, stand collar with tab closures and shooting patches that can take the wear and tear of luggage straps. Five pockets include two handwarmer, two snap-close flap, and one interior zippered. Buy Now
This safari vest is made of 100% cotton and comes with a mesh back for ventilation, 19 pockets including 3 inside pockets and a zip front & D-ring waist adjusters. Buy Now
This cotton vest has a front zip closure, ribbed collar, arm hole and hem, plus multiple pockets, Buy Now
This Rothco stonewashed cotton safari outback vest features 18 pockets with a mesh lining, vented back, zip front with snap closure. Buy Now
The SCOTTeVEST Sportsman Vest comes with front exterior pockets that offer easy access to gear, 2 open, side-access hand-warmer pockets and two top-drop pockets, a large, zippered back pocket with a loop to hang a water bladder and conduits to run the tubing to keep the mouthpiece within easy reach at the front collar. The vest has an integrated game bag with a top zipper and open access on both sides, hidden hunter orange visibility strips integrated above the front handwarmer pockets in that can be unrolled and securely snapped to the vest, with a third visibility strip accessed from the zippered back pocket and interior pockets for more gear. Buy Now
This Columbia vest is made of moisture wicking fabric with 50 UPF sun protection. The vest is vented with multiple pockets. Buy Now
More Safari Clothes For Men