Hunting Burkina Faso
Hunting Burkina Faso - This undersubscribed hunting country is an ideal venue for an experienced hunter looking to add some special west African species to his trophy collection.
Burkina Faso Hunting Season
- 1st December until 31st May
Burkina Faso Climate
- The peak hunting period is December through to February as the climate is most comfortable.
- The temperature varies between 77°F (25°C) and 86°F (30°C) in the day and from 54°F (12°C) to 65°F (18°C) at night.
- From March, the temperature rises and can reach 97°F (36°C) during the day.
Burkina Faso Current Weather Forecast
Click the image for detailed weather conditions and long-range forecast in Burkina Faso.
Burkina Faso Map
Burkina Faso Hunting Areas
Most of the big game hunting areas are located in the east of the country.
Click map to enlarge
Burkina Faso Hunting Areas
Getting To Your Hunt Area In Burkina Faso
The international airport where you will land, is in the capital city, Ouagadougou, which is located in the centre of the country. This is where your outfitter or company representative will meet you and help with your firearm import. You will then have a road trip of about 3 hours to your hunt area. Depending on your time of arrival, you may need to overnight in Ouagadougou before driving to camp the next day.
Hunting Accommodation In Burkina Faso
Most hunting accommodation is in permanent camps with chalets with all mod-cons and French cuisine. Some even have swimming pools and air conditioning.
Burkina Faso Hunting Terrain
The typical savanna terrain is dry with bushes and small woodland areas that can be quite thick. There are usually plenty of watering places which are a great draw for buffalo and other game.
Burkina Faso Game Laws
- All trophy hunting to take place between 6 am and 6 pm
- No hunting is allowed at night
- No hunting is allowed with artificial light.
- Minimum number of days for a hunting safari based upon the species being hunted and controlled by the Government. However, the hunting outfitter may also set his own minimum hunt days required to hunt certain species or combination of species, within the Government parameters.
- Hunting of female, young and/or immature animals is not permitted. If you do, you will be charged double the trophy fee for that species.
- If an animal is wounded and lost, you will be charged double the trophy fee for that species.
- Shooting from a vehicle is not permitted, though the vehicle can be used to reach the area from where hunting on foot can begin.
- Clients are only permitted to hunt animals for which a permit is issued.
- All animals are subject to quota availability.
- Hunt permits must be issued prior to the hunt commencing. You must supply your outfitter with 2 passport photographs well in advance of arrival.
- A separate permit must be issued for each individual hunting client.
- Hunting lion is done by tracking - baiting is not allowed.
- There is no minimum calibre requirement for any game.
Burkina Faso Hunting Species
Most hunters go to Burkina Faso for the special west African savanna animals which are unavailable in east or southern Africa. These include the western savanna buffalo, western roan and western kob.
A very small quota of CITES II lion has always been available to hunt in Burkina Faso. However, since February 2015, the EU Scientific Review Group has delivered a 'negative' opinion on wild lion conservation in Burkina Faso. Now most EU member states will deny an import permit for Burkina Faso lion hunting trophies as part of EU 'stricter domestic measures'. Australia has banned all lion trophy imports since March 2015.
Get A Flavour Of Hunting Burkina Faso
Hunting Burkina Faso With Craig Boddington
Hunting Burkina Faso Resources