African Hunting Headlamps
Page Updated: Apr 2020
A headlamp is a must on any African hunting safari where power cuts are not uncommon and generators can go on the blink. They are obviously very useful for reading or any task when you need light and need to use both hands.
Functions Of A Good African Hunting Headlamp
- Most headlamps use LEDs which are energy efficient, long-lasting and tough.
- Unless it is the type that adapts the light power according to where you look, headlamps can inadvertantly 'blind' another person when you move to look at them.
- An adjustable beam is preferable with a wide light for close work like reading or moving around a tent at night. A spot beam is useful for long distance lighting and following a trail.
- Headlamp weight (with batteries) and comfort is most important. Generally the more high-powered lamps and those with external battery packs are heavier and bulkier. The external battery packs, commonly for 4 batteries, are often situated on the back strap and linked by cable. An extra over-head strap may be added to stabilize the unit.
- Adjustable tilt on the headlamp is useful so you can position the beam where you want it.
- Details on other features and options such as modes, regulated beams etc can be found in handheld flashlights.
African Hunting Headlamps
Your choice of a headlamp to take hunting in Africa obviously depends on what you intend to use it for - just light for reading and small tasks or being out and about at night in the bush when you will need a good trail light capability.
Please note, this page contains affiliate links, which means Shakari Connection receives a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
(Click on images or links for full details)
Black Diamond Spot Headlamp
- The Spot headlamp gives 130-lumens of bright, fully-adjustable light.
- PowerTap Technology allows for quick, easy brightness adjustments with a simple finger tap to the side of its touch-sensitive housing.
- Red night-vision mode has proximity and strobe settings, and activates without cycling through the white mode.
- Features one TriplePower LED, two SinglePower white LEDs and two SinglePower red LEDs.
- Sleek, low profile.
- Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night vision and lock mode.
Petzl NAO 2 Reactive Lighting Technology Programable Headlamp 575 lumens
- Compact, powerful and rechargeable headlamp with reactive lighting technology - adapts instantly and automatically to the environment
- Provides maximal brightness (7 to 575 lumens), a longer burn time, along with greater usability and fewer manual interventions
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
- Easily rechargeable with the integrated USB connection
- Battery charge indicator light
- Can use two AAA/LR03 batteries (reduced performance)
- Two lighting levels available
- Optional belt kit to reduce the weight worn on the head
Petzl Actik Core Headlamp
- 450 Lumens
- Two beam patterns (wide and mixed) for high-performance lighting outdoors
- The red lighting for night vision and prevents blinding other members of a group.
- Maximum burn time of 160 hours
- Comes with a CORE rechargeable battery that charges via micro USB port or AAA batteries
Petzl e+LITE Ultra Compact Emergency 2-LED Headlamp
- Ultralight (27 g) and very compact
- Integrated ZIP retractable cord
- Can be stored with its batteries for 10 years in a vest, an emergency kit, etc.
- White or red, continuous or strobe lighting allows you to be seen and to signal an emergency.
BioLite HeadLamp No-Bounce Headlamp
- 330 Lumens
- Thin molded housing sits flat on your forehead so there is no bounce or slipping when walking or doing other activities
- Moisture-wicking fabric keeps you cool and dry with no abrasion points
- Rechargeable battery or recharge with micro USB
- Adjustable front panel
- Red night vision included
- 40 hours of battery on low, 3.5 Hours on high
- Easy-adjust size clips on head band.
LED Lenser 880022 H7R Rechargable LED Headlamp
- Rechargeable version of LED Lenser 880002 H7.2 LED Headlamp
- Multiple light output from 155 to 2.7 lumens
- Stageless dimming, which allows user to determine brightness
- Dimming switch with focusable beam
- Rechargeable batteries and charging system
- Swivelling head
Coast HL7 Focusing Headlamp
- Adjustable focus and light dimming functions
- 'Bulls Eye' spot beam pattern gives focused spot with a maximum beam distance of 109 meters (357 feet), while producing an outer ring of flood light which allows added side vision
- Larger power switch and easier-to-grip focusing bezel
- Dimming function allows you to adjust your light output to just the right level for your application
- Expandable Z-Cord provides power to the LED from the battery pack and is built in to the headband to reduce the possibility of snagging
- Unbreakable LED and is impact and water resistant
SureFire Minimus Variable-Output LED Headlamp
- Powered by one 123A lithium battery that screws right into the housing
- It offers a wide yet powerful beam that's optimized to match your field of vision
- Variable light output dial designed for one-handed use
- From 0 to 100 lumens, and all points in between, with a simple twist
- Hard-anodized aerospace-grade aluminum
- Ultra lightweight and comfortable to wear due to custom-made headband and moisture wicking pad
More African Hunting Gear
Back to Top
African Hunting Headlamps