African Hunting Headlamps
A headlamp is a must on any African hunting safari where power cuts are not uncommon and generators can go on the blink. They are obviously very useful for reading or any task when you need light and need to use both hands.
Functions Of A Good African Hunting Headlamp
- Most headlamps use LEDs which are energy efficient, long-lasting and tough.
- Unless it is the type that adapts the light power according to where you look, headlamps can inadvertantly 'blind' another person when you move to look at them.
- An adjustable beam is preferable with a wide light for close work like reading or moving around a tent at night. A spot beam is useful for long distance lighting and following a trail.
- Headlamp weight (with batteries) and comfort is most important. Generally the more high-powered lamps and those with external battery packs are heavier and bulkier. The external battery packs, commonly for 4 batteries, are often situated on the back strap and linked by cable. An extra over-head strap may be added to stabilize the unit.
- Adjustable tilt on the headlamp is useful so you can position the beam where you want it.
- Details on other features and options such as modes, regulated beams etc can be found in handheld flashlights.
African Hunting Headlamps
Your choice of a headlamp to take hunting in Africa obviously depends on what you intend to use it for - just light for reading and small tasks or being out and about at night in the bush when you will need a good trail light capability.
Please note, this page contains affiliate links, which means Shakari Connection receives a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
(Click on images or links for full details)
- The SunJack lightweight headlamp is a comfortable, rechargeable, multi-use, hands-free light.
- It can be used indoors and out, at home or on the road.
- It contains 6 variations of white light and one solid red function.
- It really is a must-have for every emergency kit.
- The clip on the headband has a built-in whistle.
Black Diamond Spot Headlamp
- The Spot headlamp gives 130-lumens of bright, fully-adjustable light.
- PowerTap Technology allows for quick, easy brightness adjustments with a simple finger tap to the side of its touch-sensitive housing.
- Red night-vision mode has proximity and strobe settings, and activates without cycling through the white mode.
- Features one TriplePower LED, two SinglePower white LEDs and two SinglePower red LEDs.
- Sleek, low profile.
- Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night vision and lock mode.
Petzl NAO 2 Reactive Lighting Technology Programable Headlamp 575 lumens
- Compact, powerful and rechargeable headlamp with reactive lighting technology - adapts instantly and automatically to the environment
- Provides maximal brightness (7 to 575 lumens), a longer burn time, along with greater usability and fewer manual interventions
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
- Easily rechargeable with the integrated USB connection
- Battery charge indicator light
- Can use two AAA/LR03 batteries (reduced performance)
- Two lighting levels available
- Optional belt kit to reduce the weight worn on the head
Petzl Ultra Rush Headlamp
- Takes Accu 2 ultra rechargeable battery (Quick charge in 3 hours)
- Powerful uniform lighting up to 760 lumens. Long-distance beam up to 170 meters
- Constant lighting guarantees performance that doesn't diminish for the entire life of the battery (when the battery is almost depleted, it switches to reserve lighting)
- Mixed beam with four lighting levels allows the user to choose between power and battery life according to his needs
- Weight: 370 g
- Waterproof at less than 1 m for 30 minutes
Petzl e+LITE Ultra Compact Emergency 2-LED Headlamp
- Ultralight (27 g) and very compact
- Integrated ZIP retractable cord
- Can be stored with its batteries for 10 years in a vest, an emergency kit, etc.
- White or red, continuous or strobe lighting allows you to be seen and to signal an emergency.
Fenix HP30 900-Lumen Headlamp
- High-capacity, belt-mounted 18650 cells to generate 900 lumens in Burst mode, 500 lumens in High output.
- An extended 233m beam distance reaches farther while the detachable diffuser lens switches quickly from spot to flood.
- When needed, the battery box USB port can power critical navigation and communication devices.
- Features XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours.
- Uses two 18650 batteries or four CR123A batteries.
- Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness.
- Lockout function prevents the light from accidental activation.
- Made from durable aluminum alloy and toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
LED Lenser 880022 H7R Rechargable LED Headlamp
- Rechargeable version of LED Lenser 880002 H7.2 LED Headlamp
- Multiple light output from 155 to 2.7 lumens
- Stageless dimming, which allows user to determine brightness
- Dimming switch with focusable beam
- Rechargeable batteries and charging system
- Swivelling head
Coast HL7 Focusing Headlamp
- Adjustable focus and light dimming functions
- 'Bulls Eye' spot beam pattern gives focused spot with a maximum beam distance of 109 meters (357 feet), while producing an outer ring of flood light which allows added side vision
- Larger power switch and easier-to-grip focusing bezel
- Dimming function allows you to adjust your light output to just the right level for your application
- Expandable Z-Cord provides power to the LED from the battery pack and is built in to the headband to reduce the possibility of snagging
- Unbreakable LED and is impact and water resistant
SureFire Minimus Variable-Output LED Headlamp
- Powered by one 123A lithium battery that screws right into the housing
- It offers a wide yet powerful beam that's optimized to match your field of vision
- Variable light output dial designed for one-handed use
- From 0 to 100 lumens, and all points in between, with a simple twist
- Hard-anodized aerospace-grade aluminum
- Ultra lightweight and comfortable to wear due to custom-made headband and moisture wicking pad
More African Hunt Lighting Gear