Bookshelf | Welcome
Shakari Connection African Hunting Bookshelf
The Shakari Connection Bookshelf is well on the way to be the biggest and best African hunting book source, specialising in hard-to-find and rare editions.
To Find The Book You Want
- Go directly to the menu category of interest. The books are in alphabetical order according to author's surname. Where an author definitely has a hyphenated double-barrelled surname, he is listed according to the first part of the name. Where an author has a long unhyphenated name, he will be listed according to the last part of his name. Authors names containing 'von' or 'de' will be listed in V or D, as appropriate.
- Use the Search box at the bottom or top right of each page, entering book title and/or author. When a title is not very distinctive from other common hunting terms such as 'elephant hunting', enter the title in inverted commas followed by 'book'. This may eliminate unnecessary searching. Please note, since the site was changed, the search function may not work very well for authors and book titles. Not all the new pages have been indexed by Google yet.
- Use the Author A to Z. All the authors on the Bookshelf are listed alphabetically with all their available books. Click on the author to go to the Bookshelf page where you may possibly find out more about the author, an image of the book and a synopsis. Click on the book title to go directly to Abebooks.com to select your purchase.
So you have come to the right place for.....
- Antique Books
- Old Books
- New Books
- Second-Hand Books
- Used Books
- Collectible Books
- Rare Books
Covering the subjects of.....
- African Hunting
- General Hunting
- Professional Hunter Biographies
- African History
- African Exploration
- African Travel & Hunting
- Sporting Guns & Rifles
- Sheep & Mountain Hunting
- Women Hunters & Travellers
The Bookshelf is a work in progress and a real labour of love....always being updated with new books and categories. So if you enjoy African hunting or 'Africana' books, please bookmark this page.
How It Works.....
- We have located the book and where there is a choice, you select your price, edition, book condition and bookseller location.
- Click on the book covers or title links to go to AbeBooks.com where you will find the book for sale from any number of booksellers worldwide. Very occasionally you will be linked to Amazon or another book website, if an important African hunting book is unavailable at AbeBooks.
- Occasionally, popular or rare title may be unavailable or sold out and a message 'no results were found for the search terms' will be returned. Try another search from the AbeBooks page, just in case.
- The books may be new or used, in various editions and various conditions at various prices so you may choose exactly what you want.
- With many of the old rare hunting books, the list may be dominated by numerous companies selling 'print-on-demand' versions. If these are of no interest, alter 'sort results by' option.
- The images of the books we have used on the Bookshelf may not be the same as the book edition you select. Generally we have tried to display the original edition book cover.
- As you browse the Bookshelf categories, you will we have, in some cases, added all the books from one author for the sake of completeness for some customers who want to collect all an author's books. Hence you may find an author's book on hunting in Africa and then his books on India or trees which may not fit the category.
- Please feel free to contribute reviews of your favourite African hunting books and let us know if there are books that need including that we may have omitted.
- We have been advised by visitors to issue a caution before browsing the Bookshelf. You may lose all restraint and emerge with shedloads of books on order and a much lighter wallet...You have been warned!
- By the way, if you do buy a book or two, please drop us a line to tell us what you bought. We would love to hear what caught your interest.
Free eBook Downloads & Free Read Online
I have indicated next to individual book titles, where you can obtain free ebook downloads (in many file formats, including Kindle) from Project Gutenberg and other reputable free ebook publishers. They are doing a fantastic job publishing the world's finest printed books as free ebooks, so donations are very welcome if you use their services.
Occasionally the free ebooks in Kindle format are rather poorly reproduced with chunks of text which are completely scrambled and unreadable. The only thng to try is doing another search for the author/title and possibly finding another downloadable version, then trying that Kindle file.
There are quite a few African hunting and Africana books available in Amazon's Kindle store now.
The Bookshelf books which are available for purchase at Amazon's Kindle Store are tagged as 'Kindle Version' and clicking this will take you directly to the book purchase page. Alternatively, if you also 'mouse' over these links, a book specific box will appear to direct you to the page in the Kindle Store.
If the same book is available as a free download elsewhere, the Kindle edition via Amazon should be free too but may include a charge for wireless delivery.
Need A Kindle?
There is no denying the convenience of an Kindle Voyage E-Reader
on the long flights to Africa or in your African hunting camp, but hopefully you won't give up printed books entirely!!
Subscribe To The Bookshelf
If you would like to subscribe to Shakari Connection Bookshelf, please complete the form below.
You will receive email updates on additional African hunting books that have been added to the Bookshelf.