Page Updated: Aug 2020
At a glance, here are the official hunting seasons for most African hunting countries. The hunting seasons of East and Central Africa are usually based on the rainy seasons which generally occur at specific times of year. The rains make hunting more or less impossible because the dirt roads become impassable. On top of that, the vegetation quickly becomes so thick it is hard to see animals which are widely dispersed because there is water everywhere. It is recommended to try to book your hunt in the middle of the season when there is less liklihood of catching early or late rains.
In countries where there hunting can be conducted throughout the year will have optimum times to hunt. The weather at certain times of year is more congenial and some outfitters will operate their own 'season' based on their local conditions.
- South Africa has no fixed hunting season. Most pleasant, weatherwise, is from March to November.
- Botswana since Botswana has opened big game hunting on public land in 2020, the first hunting season is between September and November. On privately owned hunting areas, hunting may be conducted all year round.
- Tanzania 1st July until 31st March. The hunting season may end earlier (approximately mid November) in some areas like the Selous Reserve because the rains may start towards the end of November making the hunting impossible.
- Namibia 1st February until 30th November
- Mozambique 1st April until 30th November. May to August are the optimal times to hunt, weatherwise.
- Zimbabwe has no fixed hunting season. June to November is the optimal hunting time.
- Zambia has no fixed hunting season. May to October is optimal, based on the weather.
- Cameroon Savanna hunting season is from 1st January to 30th April. Forest hunting season is from 1st March to 30th June.
Central African Republic
- Ethiopia has no fixed hunting season. Optimal time is October until June, particularly in the highlands.
- Benin December 15th to May 15th
- Uganda has no fixed hunting season. Rain is to be expected any time in Uganda but it may be best to avoid the peak of the rainy seasons in April-June and November.
Related Hunting Season Topics
Back to Top
Page Updated: Aug 2020