Women's Safari Vests
Page Updated: May 2023
Women's safari vests are ideal garments to wear for African hunting, travel and sight-seeing trips. It is an easy layer to add to your safari outfit, fitting over your shirt or under a jacket. With the right number and configuration of pockets, you might even be able to leave your handbag behind when you go walking in the bush.
Being originally an item of men's clothing, some women may think a safari vest won't suit them or fit properly, especially if they have larger busts, tummies or hips.
- For a large bust, choose a vest made of a thinner fabric that fits your bust perfectly but with an adjustable tie at the back so you can nip it in at the waist to give shape.
- For large hips and tummies, select a vest that is looser fitting that does not look too boxy. Take care with the length of the vest - too short and your tummy and hips will be accentuated, too long and it may not fasten over your hips.
Choosing A Good Women's Safari Vest
- A safari vest needs to be comfortable for possibly many hours of wear. Get the length of the vest right for you - if you have bulky gear in the lower pockets, sitting down can be awkward if the vest is too long - especially driving in a hunting truck when all the things start to bounce on your knees.
- A vest with an adjustable waist belt will help control the movement of bulky gear in the pockets.
- Made of lightweight natural or hi-tech fabric that will be sweat absorbent, breathable and quiet if wearing it while hunting.
- Good strong seams that won't rip with heavy items in the pockets.
- Cooling features possibly vents and mesh.
- Optional zip-on long sleeves to convert to a jacket.
- Pockets - better to be button closure rather than velcro which can be noisy. Too many pockets can be a disadvantage for hunting if you can't remember where you put something and have to rummage through all 21 pockets to find it.
- Check the distribution and size of pockets in a safari vest - if you can only put heavier or larger things in the lower front pockets, this may uncomfortably pull the vest down tight on your neck and shoulders.
- Lined, waterproof pockets may be preferable if you are going to carry a camera, lenses or sunglasses/reading glasses. This will protect them against rain or sweat.
- Other optional features - cartridge loops, front shoulder padding for shooting and padding on top of shoulder for carrying your rifle comfortably.
- Khaki, green, brown colours rather than white or any bright colour.
Women's Safari & Travel Vests
Please note, this page contains affiliate links, which means Shakari Connection receives a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
(Click on images for full details & colour options)
***NEW*** This women's vest is wind and water resistant and the interior has a hydrophilic coating which increases breathability. There is venting on the back, an adjustable cinch waist, an interior sunglass pocket with cleaner and an inside pocket that can be used as a stuff sack so the vest packs down small to go into carry-on or backpack. Buy Now
***NEW*** This fleece vest is made from recycled polyester with a smooth stretch cotton knit lining for comfort and freedom of movement. It has a ripstop nylon zip chest pocket and hand pockets. Buy Now
***NEW*** This cotton vest comes with a turn down collar, a full lining, front zip and adjustable drawstring waist. Buy Now
***NEW*** This women's vest comes with a detachable hood, zipper front and snap buttons. It has 4 large front pockets, turn down collar or stand up collar and adjustable drawstring waist. Buy Now
***NEW*** This vest features stain and water repellent technology with fabric that absorbs heat slowly and releases it quickly so you are always comfortable. The fabric is also UPF 30 rated and the odour-resistant. It comes with hand and chest pockets for secure storage of essentials, with the two-way zipper and adjustable drawcord waist. Buy Now
This vest is useful for chilly safari mornings. It has a zip closure and storm flap with snap patch pockets, adjustable back tabs at the waist for a just-right fit and fabric binding along the armholes and hem. Buy Now
More Women's Safari Clothes
Back to Top
Women's Safari Clothes
Women's Safari Vests