Jackal are quite popular trophies for African hunters. They are well known as scavengers but in reality they primarily hunt down small prey themselves.
Jackal Huntable Species
- Golden Jackal - Canis aureus
- Black or Silver-backed Jackal - Canis mesomelas
- Side-striped Jackal - Canis adustus
Habitat and Requirements
- The golden jackal prefers open, grassy plains, deserts and arid grasslands.
- The side-striped jackal prefers moist savannas, marshes, bushlands and mountains.
- The black-backed jackal lives primarily in savannas and woodlands.
- Jackals live singly or in pairs, but are sometimes found in loose packs of related individuals.
- After a gestation period of 2 months, these species produce between 3 - 6 offspring.
Jackal Gender Identification
- Females tend not to be as strongly coloured as males and are smaller.
Jackal Hunting Methods
- Spotting, walking and stalking the likely habitats.
A Good Jackal Trophy
Jackal Hunting Shot Placement
(Place cursor over photographs to enlarge)
More African Game Animals