Puku are medium-sized antelope of the kob family which resemble lechwe but are smaller and lack the lechwe's brown foreleg markings.
Puku Trophy Minimums
|Kobus vardonii (Puku)
||RW Measurement Method
||SCI Measurement Method
Where To Hunt a Puku
The main large populations of puku only now occur in Kilombero valley of Tanzania and the Kafue and Luangwa areas of Zambia. Zambia is the country of choice for puku hunting success.
The odd puku turns up in the far east of the Caprivi area of Namibia and Zambezi area of north-west Zimbabwe.
Puku Hunting Prices
- In Tanzania, the puku is available on a 10, 16 and 21 day licence. The Government trophy fee is US$800, so with added Community Development/anti-poaching fees, the trophy fee will be between US$900 and US$1450.
- In Zambia, the puku trophy fee ranges from US$850 to US$1500.
Puku Hunting Methods
- Walking and stalking in the likely habitat for puku which is never far from water.
- They are best found at dawn or dusk grazing on flood plains or in open woodland near water.
A Good Puku Trophy
- Look for good horn length and thick bases.
- If the first bend in the horns starts above the level of the ear tip, it is likely to be a good trophy puku.
Puku Hunting Shot Placement
Puku Vital Statistics
- Shoulder Height: 31" / 80cm
- Weight: 150-180lbs / 70-80kg
Puku Habitat And Requirements
- Puku, which are pre-dominantly grazers, prefer open grass areas near water.
- They can also be found in bush areas and low woodland very close to water.
Puku Social Structure
- Puku live in mixed herds of about 6 + individuals and batchelor herds.
Puku Gestation Period
- After a gestation period of around 7 months, one offspring is born.
Puku Gender Identification
- The strongly ridged horns are found only in males.
- Males are larger and more heavy in the body.
Click Image To Enlarge
Puku Trophy Permits (2015)
Puku Trophy Taxidermy
- As with most medium-sized African antelope, most hunters go for a shoulder mount as the best taxidermy display. However a skull mount on a shield looks very effective. Don't forget to instruct your taxidermist not to blacken the horns if you want them to look natural.
Puku Shoulder Mount
What About The Name?
- Why is this antelope called a puku? 'Puku' is the Tswana name for this animal.
- The antelope was named Kobus vardonii by David Livingstone in honour of fellow explorer, Major Frank Vardon. Major Vardon was hunting with William Cotton Oswell in South Africa when he met Livingstone.
- Livingstone was apparently the first to discover the puku on the upper Zambezi river in 1851.
Hunting Other African Animals
Big Five Hunting
Other Plains Game Hunting
Spiral Horned Antelope Hunting
Large Antelope Hunting
Medium Antelope Hunting
Small Antelope Hunting
African Pig Hunting
Other Cat Hunting
Animals Of Opportunity