Klipspringer, which means 'rock jumper' in Afrikaans, have incredible agility among the steep rocks which be attributed to their unique hooves. The hoof tips are almost circular with the diameter of about a dime. The klipspringer stands on the tips of the hooves and with it's strong back legs, it can jump up a smooth rock wall and land with all four feet on a tiny rock projection.
Klipspringer Trophy Minimums
|Oreotragus oreotragus (Klipspringer)
||RW Measurement Method
||SCI Measurement Method
Where To Hunt A Klipspringer
You may hunt a klipspringer in the steep, rocky areas of Ethiopia, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Klipspringer Hunting Prices
- On a highland hunt in Ethiopia the trophy fee for a klipspringer is US$1400.
- In Namibia, you can hunt a klipspringer for a trophy fee of between US$650 and US$2000.
- In South Africa the trophy fee for a klipspringer is between US$700 and US$2500.
- In Tanzania, a klipspringer is available on a 21 day licence and comes with a Government trophy fee of US$1200. Add on the Community Development/anti-poaching fees and the total trophy fee will be between US$1300 and US$1890.
- In Uganda the klipspringer trophy fee is aroung US$900.
- In Zambia the klipspringer trophy fee is between US$750 and US$1700.
- In Zimbabwe you can find the cheapest klipspringer with trophy fees starting at US$450 and ranging up to US$1800.
Klipspringer Hunting Methods
- Walking and stalking in the likely habitat of rocky kopjes or crags where they can be seen perching on steep rocky outcrops at dusk or early morning.
- Use a small calibre or a solid bullet, as the skin and hair are easily damaged - Klipspringer have hollow and particularly brittle hair.
A Good Klipspringer Trophy
- Look for solid bases and good horn length - if you can see at least an inch of horn showing above the ears, go for it.
Klipspringer Hunting Shot Placement
Klipspringer Vital Statistics
- Shoulder Height: 20-23" / 51-58cm
- Weight: 35-40lbs / 16-18kg
Klipspringer Habitat And Requirements
- Klipspringer prefer steep rocky terrain, especially kopjes, in savannas in eastern and southern Africa.
- It feeds on grasses, leaves, blossoms, fruit, lichens and is not water-dependent.
Klipspringer Social Structure
- Klipspringer live as monogamous pairs and defend a territory.
Klipspringer Gestation Period
- After a gestation period of 7 months, one offspring is usually born.
Klipspringer Gender Identification
- Female klipspringers are generally larger in the body than males.
- The horns, found in males (and sometimes on females in east Africa), are wide-set on the forehead and rise vertically as short spikes. They are ridged at the base.
Klipspringer Image Gallery
Click Images To Enlarge
Klipspringer Trophy Permits (2015)
Klipspringer Trophy Taxidermy
- As with most small African antelope, a full mount is the best taxidermy display. However a skull mount on a shield, perhaps with multiple klipspringer skulls or other small antelope skulls looks very effective. Don't forget to instruct your taxidermist not to blacken the horns if you want them to look natural.
- If you retain a klipspringer skin to be tanned, don't use it as a rug/mat in a high traffic area. The hollow hairs of the klipspringer are very brittle and will fall out very quickly.
Click images to enlarge
Hunting Other African Animals
Big Five Hunting
Other Plains Game Hunting
Spiral Horned Antelope Hunting
Large Antelope Hunting
Medium Antelope Hunting
Small Antelope Hunting
African Pig Hunting
Other Cat Hunting
Animals Of Opportunity